Wednesday, November 14, 2007

My Anatomy lab has gone from 25 students (completely full) to 14. People dropped like flies the first two or three weeks and then there was a lull...now people are disappearing and never returning again. I wonder what those people who have dropped recently plan to do. We are way past the "drop without a W" point. Both of the nursing programs in my area look at how many W's you have in core sciences as well as how many times you repeat a core science. It's part of the selection criteria. What am I doing?!? I don't have time to wonder and worry about people I don't really know...how sad is that?

Anatomy is kicking my butt! This class is the hardest class I have ever taken. I don't understand why it has to be this hard...I really don't. I don't understand why I have to be able to look at a slice of a brain (prosection) and be able to identify the corpus collasum, intermediate mass, the basal nuclei as well as dozens of other structures! Seriously...how exactly will I be using that as a nurse? I am so ready for this semester to be done.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anatomy sucked for me. I am impressed your going to be a nurse that has got to be the hardest school thing to go after!!

Unknown said...

Unfortunately, you really don't need to know that much depth of anatomy to work as a nurse. It helps to understand disease pathology and know what parts are being affected but I never understood the need for the details. Ask any doctor a detailed anatomy question, they probably don't remember it either. SUCKS! When you start applying anatomy in nursing school the light will suddenly go on!
Hang in there!

Medicoglia, RN said...

s-girl...the semester is over! Finished! WOO-HOO!!

NP...I really think the level of detail was far too much!! I keep thinking that if, as a nurse, I am able to see (and of course identify :P) the basal nuclei in a patient's midbrain...umm...the patient doesn't need a nurse...s/he needs the morgue!!!